Thursday 30 November 2017

Recent work Nov 2017

Continuing my current work... an exploration into drawing while holding in mind my interests in notions of utopia and science fiction.., I've been working on this piece for about 2 weeks, a length of time that reflects both how long each layer of ink takes to dry and the flattening process for each A1 sheet. Making the marks takes comparatively little time. Now I have to decide if I want to speed up that time and how to do that. The length of the process gives me lots of thinking time and I can work on other projects that all feed into each other in the meantime so I rather enjoy the inherent delays. However, I'm interested in how joining the sheets together first will change the eventual form as lots of marks are made by ink drips pooling on the paper as it dips and stretches, also, flattening it will be an interesting exercise.

I made it too long to hang on the wall vertically which has turned out to be a boon, as it effortlessly seems to have achieved one of my recent aims which is to achieve some kind of shape additional to the 2d flatness and illusionary depth. It isn't visible from the photograph but the piece lying on the floor is deliberately upside down and it does give a pleasant slightly topsy turvy feeling when looking down on it. It's interesting how easily and simply that the situ of a drawing on a wall can be challenged.  This is definitely something to be explored.




In regards to the other projects, I am slowly bringing this drawing to a resolution in my home studio. I am of a mind, since I know where I am going with it, to concentrate more on other experiments within the studio space at college, although I've just started focusing again on the central shape.


I've realised that I've been mainly occupied with different ways to make a line - and to do that in a meaningful way. These are all gesturally different and either involve adding or subtracting material to or from a surface. So along with the ambiguity over surface / object that is something to explore - without going into drawing in space and installation. Not that I'm against formal installation its just that I'm all about the portability, and maybe transference of place in relation to my artwork. I'm going to have to investigate that too. :-)

No comments: